POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Compositing with HDRI -- test : Re: Compositing with HDRI -- test Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compositing with HDRI -- test
From: Jack Couilliard
Date: 14 Jan 2003 18:50:31
Message: <3e24a247$1@news.povray.org>
> What digital camera did you use?

Olympus c-3040 (3 Megapixel). Not the world's best digicam, but certainly
not the worst. I held my f-stop at 2.8 and shot 12 shots in tiff mode with
auto whitebalancing turned off. Shots were spaced one exposure apart using
different shutter speeds (ie 1/800, 1/400, 1/200, etc). I also used a remote
control and tripod to minimize pixel drift from one shot to the next. 12
shots was probably overkill, I am planning on using 5 or so for some tests
in the future.

> I wonder if a regular film camera would work?

I'm sure it would, but you have the extra step of scanning in your negatives
(I don't think you would be able to get good results scanning prints, which
only hold 200dpi or so). Scanning 35mm file might even have a couple
advantages over digital. Film would provide a constant "white balance",
although in many cameras you can turn auto whitebalancing off. Also, good
negative scanners can capture a higher dynamic range (10, 12 or 16
bits/pixel) than digital cameras, decreasing the number of braketed shots
needed to make an HDRI image.

Anyway, good luck. I hope to see some of your results.

Jack